Terms of Sale
In respect to items purchased from us over the internet, our Terms of Sale are as follows:
1) We are professional booksellers and adhere to the standards of our professional associations, both in terms of describing books and offering redress in case of a discrepancy.
2) The prices of all material offered for sale on our web site, or on the databases to which we subscribe, are net in US dollars, and each item is subject to prior sale. Normally payment in full must be received before an item will be shipped. If sending a cheque, money order, or purchase order, it is advisable to contact us first to request that the book be reserved for you pending receipt of payment.
3) Payment to Black’s Fine Books and Manuscripts may be made by cheque drawn on a US or Canadian bank; bank draft; credit card (MasterCard, VISA, AMEX, or Diner’s Club); or by PayPal (our PayPal ID is our email address: [email protected]).
Please note that we reserve the right to delay shipment of any book paid for by cheque, until the cheque has cleared the payer’s bank account. If paying by money order, please make sure that you purchase a form of money order which may be cashed in Canada (i.e., an international money order).
4) Payment with order, please. We do not send any item out on approval unless prior arrangements have been made. Legitimate book dealers, with whom we have established a reciprocal arrangement, and any member of the ABAC, ABAA, ABA, or an ILAB-affiliated national organization, may apply for a trade discount on any proposed purchase. Canadian purchasers will be charged GST. Known academic institutions, or libraries, may be billed upon receipt of a purchase order.
5) Any item purchased from Black’s Fine Books and Manuscripts is returnable (postpaid) to us within seven days of receipt, if it is found to be substantially different than as described. However, we guarantee any item we sell to be authentic as to provenance, or state of issue (i.e. if we claim a book is a first edition, we guarantee it to be such). If our description of a book in regard to provenance or state of issue is in error, it may be returned to us (with prior notice, please) for refund within one year of purchase.
We do offer a layaway arrangement on more expensive items: generally where the purchase price exceeds $1,000. Typically, the purchaser should offer to us a down payment and propose acceptable terms of payment. We do not charge interest on payments made according to such an agreement. The item being purchased will be shipped upon receipt of payment in full. If payment is not made in accordance with the terms of the layaway arrangement, then the deposit and any payments will only be refunded after we have re-sold the item in question, and deducted our re-selling costs (if any).
We can provide digital photographs or scans, sent as .jpeg attachments, of any item in stock. In making such a request, please be as specific as possible as to the views you would like to receive. Please bear in mind that it is not practical for us to provide photos to people doing research, or seeking to compile a library of digital images, and that we are less inclined to send photos of an inexpensive book (due to the time and effort it requires), in the absence of a demonstrable need or reason on the part of the would-be purchaser.
Please send any further questions by email to: [email protected]
Personal Information We Collect
When you visit the Site, we automatically collect certain information about your device, including information about your web browser, operating system, IP address, time zone, and certain cookies that are installed on your device. Additionally, as you browse the Site, we collect information about the individual web pages or products that you view, what websites or search terms referred you to the Site, and information about how you interact with the Site. We refer to this automatically-collected information as “Device Information.”
We collect Device Information using the following technologies:
“Cookies” are data files that are placed on your device or computer and often include an anonymous unique identifier. For more information about cookies, and how to disable cookies, visit http://www.allaboutcookies.org.
“Log files” track actions occurring on the Site, and collect data including your IP address, browser type, operating system, Internet service provider, referring/exit pages, and date/time stamps.
“Web beacons,” “tags,” and “pixels” are electronic files used to record information about how you browse the Site.
Additionally when you make a purchase or attempt to make a purchase through the Site, we collect certain information from you, including your name, billing address, shipping address, payment information (including credit card numbers), email address, and phone number. We refer to this information as “Order Information.”
How We Use Your Personal Information
We use the Order Information that we collect generally to fulfill any orders placed through the Site (including processing your payment information, arranging for shipping, and providing you with invoices and/or order confirmations). Additionally, we use this Order Information to
1. Communicate with you;
2. Screen our orders for potential risk or fraud; and
3. When in line with the preferences you have shared with us, provide you with information or advertising relating to our products or services.
4. We use the Device Information that we collect to help us screen for potential risk and fraud (in particular, your IP address), and more generally to improve and optimize our Site (for example, by generating analytics about how our customers browse and interact with the Site, and to assess the success of our marketing and advertising campaigns).
Sharing Your Personal Information
We share your Personal Information with third parties only when necessary to process your Personal Information, as described above. For example, we use AbeBooks.com & Biblio.com to power our online store(s) – you can read more about how AbeBooks & Biblio uses your Personal Information here and here: We also use Google Analytics to help us understand how our customers use the Site—you can read more about how Google uses your Personal Information here. You can also opt-out of Google Analytics here.
If necessary, we may also share your Personal Information to comply with applicable laws and regulations, to respond to a subpoena, search warrant or other lawful request for information we receive, or to otherwise protect our rights.
Do Not Track
Please note that we do not alter our Site’s data collection and use practices when we see a Do Not Track signal from your browser.
When you provide us with Personal Information via a transaction on our Site, such as placing an order or submitting a product inquiry, we infer that you consent to the collection and use of the Personal Information for that specific purpose only.
If we ask for your Personal Information for a secondary reason, such as email marketing, we will ask you directly for your expressed consent (“opt-in”).
If after you opt-in, you change your mind, you may withdraw your consent (“opt-out”) at anytime via the contact information below.
If you are a European resident, you have the right to access Personal Information we store about you and to ask that your Personal Information be corrected, updated, or deleted. If you would like to exercise this right, please contact us via the contact information below.
Additionally, if you are a European resident, please note that we are processing your information in order to fulfill contracts we might have with you (for example, if you place an order through the Site), or otherwise to pursue our legitimate business interests listed above. Also note that your information will be transferred outside of Europe, including to the United States.
When you place an order through the Site, we will maintain your Order Information for our records unless and until you ask us to delete this information.
For more information about our privacy practices, if you have questions, or if you would like to make a complaint, please contact us by email at [email protected] or by mail or phone using the details provided below:
Black's Fine Books & Manuscripts 10-300 River Ave. Winnipeg MB R3L 0B9 Canada Phone: 204.250.1261